Thursday, May 15, 2014

Noon Year's Day Party

Librarian-students all had a chance to create/report out a program they developed as a final project. Each considered the goals of the program, format (active, passive), how much time/money it might take and described how it was or would be done. Tina from WI was inspired by an idea shared by classmate Erin from MI and shared this idea.

This is an active program type that would be held in the meeting room right off of our library.  We also have a gym in the community center that it could be held in should I think that I will have too many kids to fit in the meeting room.  (I just called the village clerk to reserve the room for December 31 of this year, so I DO plan to do this program this yearJ) The target age group for this program would be ages 3 to 6/preschoolers.  The length of the program would be an hour, from 11 a.m. until Noon on December 31!  

If a success, and I think it would be a big success, I would plan to do it once a year…..every New Years Eve to celebrate the coming of the new year!  This program should take little time to prepare for, I just need to decide on books that would tie into counting down, or learning about the months in the year.  Then, I would have to construct some numbers to use for counting down to the new/noon year’s.  I would have to purchase some balloons and balloon drops or make a homemade balloon drop.  I also love Erins idea of “fireworks” using squares of bubblewrap for the kids to stomp on for the sound effects.  The preparation and cost would be minimal for this program.  The preparation for this program should be minimal, I would guess about four hours total!  Since I am “stealing” the idea, most of the planning is done unless I came up with some idea of my own that I would like to add or change. 

Program Description and plan: 
~To implement this program, I would have to advertise in the way of flyers to the schools, posters in the Community Center /Library, the surrounding banks and post office and by putting it on our Facebook page. 
~The flyers and posters would read something like this: 
        Join the us at the Library for a Noon Years Eve Party!
                                        Date/Time:  Wednesday, December 31 from 11 a.m. until Noon
                 A family friendly celebration counting down to the New Year without staying up late!
                 Enjoy stories, crafts, music and dancing, concluding with balloon drop at 12PM.
                                                 ~Light refreshments will be offered.

~The week before the program, I would send a press release to the newspapers and radio stations.  The week of the program, I would ask the local bank to advertise the program on their digital sign. 

Make Party Hats:  I would prepare a craft of a party hat or crown for the kids to do when they first arrive.  I would just search for an easy idea online to come up with something simple that the kids could make out of paper that we already have available.  I would get out all of our odds and end craft items as well as the crayons, glue, and scissors that we have here for decorating the hats/crowns. 

Read a story: I would select a book or books for the program.  I could select a book or books that have to do with the months and talk about how the months make up a year and talk about the reason that we were celebrating.  I could also select a book that has to do with clocks and telling time.  Or even a book about learning the numbers from 1-10 tying in with the countdown. 

Dancing:  I would get some music for the kids to dance to, I would probably have to enlist the help of my own kids to help me download some fun songs for the kids to dance to.

The Countdown:  I would make up make up colorful signs with the numbers 1-10 on them to use for the countdown and have the children help me put them in order 1-10 and then 10-1 (for the countdown).    I could also make a giant clock to talk about numbers and time if I wanted, but it would have to be a pretty basic conversation for the age group. 

Fireworks:   I would get bubble wrap, hopefully donated, from someone who has an excess or even from a mailing or office supply store.  Then I would cut the bubble wrap in squares for the kids to stomp on for “fireworks” noise when the clock strikes noon. 

Balloon Drop:  I would purchase a balloon drop, if not too pricy, or construct one myself out of materials we have at the library.  I would purchase balloons, which aren’t too pricey, blow them up and put them in the balloon drop to drop at the end of the countdown.  I would play more music for more dancing!
Treats:   We have a popcorn popper at the library so I would have some popcorn made and have some juice or punch, that I would probably just supply from home, to ring in the noon yearJ.  

This program would engage the children by having them count and see/learn the numbers 1-10.  The numbers will be colorful so we could talk about colors.  We will read a story or stories to engage their listening skills.  I think there will be a lot of fun and positive stimulation and I am really looking forward to hosting this program this year!






No comments:

Post a Comment